Tuesday 10 August 2010

Hurrah for...

It's too long since I last sent out any hurrahs, and I know I've missed some people and books and publications. Sorry. Let me correct that today with two shout outs.

Hurrah for author and artist Marcus Sedgwick and the publication of his latest novel, White Crow. Marcus is an old friend and fellow sketcher, and these days a major figure in YA writing, inspirational to me not only for his taut prose and Gothic imagination, but also for the fact that, one way or another, he manages to illustrate a lot of his novels. My copy of White Crow has reached the top of my reading list, so hurrah for that too. See Marcus talking about his book here here.

Secondly, but no less importantly, acclaimed Writer and Illustrator James Mayhew is celebrating the considerable achievement of reaching book number ten (!) in his charming Katie series of picture books. James is another old friend, and while he isn't quite one of my ex-tutors (I'm not sure how I managed to miss his modules, but it wasn't deliberate I promise!), he was a great moral support when I was starting out. He also bakes legendary cakes.

On top of all this, James is a prolific blogger, with something interesting to say about everything from Dusty Old Books to Opera and Ballet. So Hurrah for James and for Katie!

7 comments:

  1. Awe, that's lovely. Yay.

    Well done Marcus and James - and Thomas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! thanks Thomas - what a lovely celebratory thing to do. Not sure how you slipped through my fingers at Cambridge Art School either... but I do remember getting tongue-tied and telling Orchard about a great young illustrator called "Thomas Thomas" !!! (which they thought was hilarious). Anyway, this is very generous of you but CONGRATULATIONS to you as well for getting a deal for your novel - absolutely terrific and I can't wait to read it. I have no doubt at all that it will be completely splendid like the author!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How thoughtful of you. The books sound good!

    I enjoyed the links and the video too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah for all published authors - I like the sound of White Crow - I'll be looking out for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to check out Marcus and James. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments.

    James, social networking has to be a two-way street, or it's not really networking at all. And you know, I think you may have had more to do with my being taken on by Orchard than I thought, so I'm more than happy to rave about you here. Besides, I get to name-drop too:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah! (This sounds very English, by the way.) You have cool friends, Thomas.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.